MyWikis.com versus MyWikis.eu
MyWikis offers two platforms depending on which region of the world you're based in: MyWikis.com and MyWikis.eu.
Both platforms equally offer all of our great features, including but not limited to:
- The latest LTS version of MediaWiki, including security updates
- Our extensive extensions collection, which you can see at mywikis.com/extensions
- Quality technical support
- MyWikis Self Service wiki management system
Differences only lie in logistical factors and legal considerations. The below table compares how we tailor towards the unique needs of each geographic region:
|MyWikis.com||MyWikis Europe (MyWikis.eu)|
|Currencies accepted||U.S. dollar (USD), Pound sterling (GBP)||Euro (EUR)|
|Payments processed in||United States||Austria|
|Data stored at rest in||United States||European Union (Austria)|
|Internal data transferred within||United States only||European Union member states only|
|Best for||Strongest freedom of speech protections||Full GDPR compliance|
|Operated by||MyWikis LLC||MyWikis LLC in partnership with European partners|
|Intended geographical audience||Worldwide||European Union|
|Available for end consumer use||Yes||No|
|MyWikis Self Service||Yes|
|Plans||Basics, Pro, Quantum, Ultra||Foundation, Pro, Quantum, Ultra|
Frequently asked questions
For a full list of FAQs, please see mywikis.eu/faq.
- If I am not based in the EU, can I still use MyWikis.eu?
- No, as only entities based in the EU can use MyWikis.eu. However, your prices will continue to be denominated in euros.
- Can UK entities use MyWikis.eu?
- MyWikis.eu is unable to process VAT for non-EU countries. Because the United Kingdom is no longer subject to European Union VAT rules, UK-based entities are not eligible to use MyWikis.eu.
- If I am based in the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, can I still use MyWikis.com?
- We highly encourage EU entities to use MyWikis.eu because MyWikis.eu hosts your wiki in Europe. That brings you many benefits, including faster loading speeds and protection of your data under GDPR. MyWikis.eu complies strictly with GDPR, whereas MyWikis.com operates under U.S. law and is meant for non-EU and non-EEA jurisdictions.
- In some cases, it may be appropriate to host your wiki in the U.S. rather than Europe. This includes content that cannot be hosted on MyWikis.eu but can be hosted on MyWikis.com due to the difference in laws between the United States and European Union.
- Why isn't MyWikis.com fully compliant with the GDPR?
- MyWikis.com aims to comply with GDPR fully, but there are several fundamental reasons that prevent MyWikis.com (and all other American companies without European subsidiaries) from complying with the GDPR despite our best efforts.
- Austria's data privacy watchdogs have stated that, strictly speaking, GDPR compliance means all data must be stored at rest in, and transmitted within, the European Union or third countries approved by the European Commission. Servers in the United States do not fit this criteria.
- The GDPR prohibits us from hosting certain sensitive information without special permission to be collected. This, however, includes political, religious, and philosophical beliefs. Given that collecting such affirmative consent is infeasible on MediaWiki, we do not make use of the GDPR's exceptions to allow us to process said data with the consent of the user whose beliefs are stated here. However, complying with this regulation in the United States would be in direct violation of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.
- Are the Terms of Service different between MyWikis.com and MyWikis.eu?
- Due to the different jurisdictions in which MyWikis.com and MyWikis.eu operate, the Terms of Service (ToS) will differ accordingly. Additionally, the Acceptable Use Policy's section governing acceptable content differ due to the difference of laws in the United States and Europe.